How We Solved It
After identifying Delta Dental’s pain points within their current Jira/Confluence configuration and workflows, Sphere Software offered a solution that leveraged robust project planning and tracking. Sphere recommended customized options in Jira, including conditions, validators, and post-functions to more accurately reflect their desired workflow. Jira and Confluence customizations brought all of Delta Dental’s teams together on a single platform. As a result, Delta Dental’s development team benefited from multiple workflows while the management team was able to effectively monitor their progress.
Below are several examples of the workflows that the Sphere team created:
● Story / Bug Workflow helped Delta Dental’s Business Analysts track and plan all of their development work across multiple workstreams.
● General Workflow defined different Project Management milestones such as Action Items and Risks. This approach offered many capabilities for mitigating project blockers for the Project Management team.
● Hotfix Workflow was designed to quickly track critical bug fixes across different business units. A unified workflow allowed Delta Dental to obtain accurate reporting and manage bottlenecks.
Jira customization and enhancements were implemented in the following areas:
● Issue Types and Schemes
● Workflow Schemes
● Screen and Issue Type Screen Schemes
● Adding Miscellaneous Custom Fields and Fields Configurations
● Issue Security
● Permissions Schemes
● Notifications Schemes
● Kanban and Scrum Boards
● Add-ons (System and User-Installed)
● Global Permissions
● Project Roles
● Backup Policies
● Indexing and Logging
● Global Mail Settings
● User Management and LDAP
Workflow changes allowed QA and UAT teams to gain more visibility on the staging environment status, along with increased transparency for each of the development phases. Additionally, Sphere coached Delta’s Scrum Masters on the best practices for Agile with Jira Software while defining their Scrum processes using Board features.
Integration with Confluence was crucial to provide the necessary connection between the requests and initiatives made by business stakeholders and the activities in Jira to deliver them. Sphere’s Confluence configuration allowed Delta to switch from printed documents to using a digital collaboration platform, which decreased overhead and increased efficiency.
Sphere Software made improvements in the following areas:
● General Configuration
● Global Templates and Blueprints
○ Sphere suggested and implemented a set of custom templates for tracking project documentation throughout all phases: Initiation, Planning, Execution, and Control. This solution filled the gap between business stakeholders and software project managers.
● Global and Space Permissions
● User Management and LDAP